Forest City Roofing’s installation teams are fully trained and are certified roofers/installers for IKO and GAF manufacturing companies and hold their necessary training cards as part of Ontario’s required safety programs. You are assured of consistent, high-quality roofing work and the correct installation of your chosen shingles.
There is no license required to become a roofing contractor. ‘Although,’ Ian Armstrong, owner of Forest City Roofing, says, ‘there should be one.’
Should you use a certified roofer? Can you ask whether your contractor has a roofing license?
What are certified roofers?
Choosing to use certified roofers is precisely like having insurance. It is one of the few ways you can gain proof of assurance that your roofing contractor has taken measures to ensure their workers are properly trained in installing particularly precise roofing materials.
Certified roofers have been accredited by roofing material manufacturers to help homeowners choose contractors that have provided positive measures.
Forest City Roofing is a fully certified installer with two globally leading shingle manufacturers:
- IKO provides four collections of high-quality laminated shingles, other roofing materials and roofing accessories for home and commercial applications: Designer, Performance, Architectural and Traditional to best suit your style and budget. As a certified IKO contractor, we can provide extended warranties to our customers.
- GAF, North America’s largest roofing manufacturer, has a long list of roofing options and offers extended warranties to its certified contractors. GAF offers solar roofs for your green requirements.
Roofing is a trade job, meaning specialized skills are acquired through advanced training, often on-the-job apprenticeship programs.
Home renovation problems are among the top consumer complaints in Ontario. Approximately 20% of the combined complaints and inquiries are related to roofing. According to Ontario law, as worded on ontario.ca, under hiring a roofer, roofing contractors must have particular training under hiring a roofer, as shown below.
Provincially required training and accreditation:
Forest City Roofing employs project managers who ensure that your roof replacement goes smoothly and to your satisfaction. Project managers check the work of our installers (all of whom have their required training.)
All of our installers are:
- Trained and able to show their ‘Working at Heights’ training card
- Trained in ‘Workplace Safety Hazards’
- Protected at all times when 10 feet above ground
- Secured with workplace insurance under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
More ways to ensure you’re using the best roofer:
- Please ask about the Roofer Certification programs taken by our installers.
- Ask your friends and family for their recommendations and why.
- Make sure you create a contract that has: the written quote and any estimates for further work, start dates, discussion of the protection of landscaping, clean-up (you or us?), type of shingle that will be used, an itemized cost list, deposit and final payment dates and importantly, signatures of both parties.
- Know that under Ontario law, you will have a 10-day cooling-off period after both parties sign the contract. The Consumer Protection Act states that you owe the roofing company pay for any work done and materials used if they started the job before the ten days.
- Ask to see their insurance. If an accident or unexpected damage occurs on your property, you will otherwise be responsible. If the roofer doesn’t have insurance in place, you must.
- Request whether the roofing material needs certified or specially trained roofers to install it. Product warranties may be voided. Ask to see our copies of the product warranties.
- Think twice before accepting a cash deal. You will not have a receipt, the legal proof of payment for the materials and services.
- Never provide more than a 10% deposit.
Please call Forest City Roofing at (519) 659 6937.
Would you like a free estimate? Call us or contact us online.
We provide financing options.