Getting roof estimates is easier if you have a few questions to help you compare companies. Hiring a roofing contractor if we can’t see the results up close always feels a little scary. So we’ve listed the best questions you can ask roofing contractors over the phone, like the time in business, certification, copies of liability insurance, and whether you can see a roof installation similar to yours.
There are a few things to look for before getting roofing estimates that will help narrow down the choices between the companies.
- Always look at online reviews for roofing companies (don’t neglect the results on pages 2 and 3 of your internet search, those companies shouldn’t be ignored) and ask keenly-eyed friends and family for referrals.
- With scams prevalent in all industries, it’s good to never quickly settle for the best price and ask some crucial questions upfront.
- Thank them for their answers, and decide which roofing contractors you’ll move forward with.
You can use the second set of questions before asking your chosen contractors for an estimate or a quote.
The best questions to ask roofing companies over the phone when getting roof estimates:
- Can you email a copy of your license, insurance, and workman compensation certificate?
- How long has the current owner been in charge of the business?
- Are they product-certified through any roofing shingle companies? Can you see the certifications?
- Who will be on hand during the installation?
- Can I visit a current job similar to my type of roof replacement?
1. Can you email a copy of your license, insurance, and workman compensation certificate?
- Always ask for emailed, valid copies of the roofing company’s liability insurance, workman’s compensation certificate, and contractor license.
- If the name on their license is different from their working name, ask for proof of explanation and search for their business name.
- According to a quick online search, the amount of insurance the contractor should carry shows that $2 million is the recommended amount.
- Ask whether you’ll receive a written contract. The answer should be yes.
2. How long has the current owner been in the business?
- Experience makes a big difference when expecting a professionally executed job. You should be able to confirm the date of acquiring the business license and the name.
3. Are they product-certified through any roofing shingle companies? Can you see the certifications?
- A roofing company proud of their quality trains its employees through paid training programs from major shingle manufacturers. Often, specific installation must be followed to ensure added warranty coverage, a bonus for homeowners.
4. Who will be on hand during the installation?
- The owner, a manager or project manager trained by the owner should ensure the roof is installed according to laws and the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- It is never acceptable to hear the roofers work without supervision.
5. Can I visit a job similar to my type of roof replacement?
- A quick visit to a site will tell you how organized the worksite is.
- You may find other trucks with other business names, proving they subcontract work. A successful, reputable company will have loyal workers trained to their high standards.
- Ask for references from 3 recent clients.
Remember that good communication is essential for a reputable business when getting roof estimates.
Are they happy to over-explain and assure you of their safe and professional process? Do they offer suggestions and ideas?
Here are a few questions that will provide you with a sense of the roofing company’s process:
- Ask whether new flashings will be used everywhere, or will some areas use existing ones?
- Whether the valleys have metal or weave the shingles?
- How do your workers cut their shingles?
- The manner in which the eavestroughs and other aspects of the property be protected?
- How will the area be left at the end of each workday?
- What is the cost per sheet if new plywood must be used to replace soft roof decking?
An excellent reputation has the most value for any company. Call Forest City Roofing for a fair and thorough quote.